Tuesday 1 February 2011

"Girl with the golden leggings... and a pheasant strapped to her head"

Who needs screenwriters? Hollywood simply has to trawl Missed Connections for its story-lines and opening shots.

Try this MC post from craigslist San Francisco.  Location, costumes, character, cast, all are there:

“Dear Girl with the gold leggings, fancy bike, and pheasant strapped to her head, I saw you at 24th and Valencia today. We walked by each other while you were with your dolled up friends. We smiled at each other and it was nice. You've got a nice smile! Anyway, you're doin' it big, Girl! Well played. Let's hang out and you can listen to all my self deprecating jokes. I'm a really terrible person so there are a lot of them.”

That golden girl with a pheasant strapped to her head is surely kooky with a capital 'K'. Think Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s or Melanie Griffith in Something Wild. The plot might lead to a hotel romance or a road movie; it’s the director’s choice.

And here’s another one from New York craigslist“Guy walking on Madison with teapot and book - w4m - 20 (Midtown). You were so great. seemed like you would be a really great human. I wish when I saw you I didn't have rain splattered on my glasses. We were around 40th and Madison. anyway, you probably don't even remember me , but just know you have an admirer. Keep carrying tea pots and reading books! oh, and write to me if you feel like it.”

... It could be a scene from an early Woody Allen movie. Cue opening credits as a bookish man with a bent for carrying tea-pots on Madison (maybe an eccentric Brit or an NYU postgrad?) meeting a literary but klutzy girl with rain splattered on her glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment