Thursday 10 February 2011

Sophie Blackall's art of Missed Connections


Every Missed Connections posting on craigslist paints a mental picture of unlikely trysts. New York artist Sophie Blackall has turned those images into art on her blog missedconnectionsny. Ever wondered what “Tree with legs: Nice pants. I'd like to see more of you... BTW, your dog winked at me” might have looked like? Well, Blackall has drawn the whole scene, of a man carrying a tree on his back complete with winking dog.

Similarly “Furry arms in morning lecture” inspires a funny image of the aforesaid hirsute male student. While the posting “Floral pink jacket on the L -m4w - 26 (Union Square) Can I buy you a drink? -Buffalo plaid jacket” inspires an image of two entwined disembodied jackets.

Blackall, who works full-time as a children’s book illustrator, told the New York Times about her MC addiction: “I got completely sucked in. I lost about two hours of my life reading them and thought this is just an extraordinary mine of material, ranging from the lyrical, poetic to unintentionally hilarious. Many of them threw out ideas for images to me right away.”

Her work manages to be both touching and amusing, not to mention beautiful. Do check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment